Comments: 78 Comments

This is best viewed in English

Cross Connect for Windows 8 and Windows RT can be downloaded here

Cross Connect for Windows Phone 7 WP7 can be downloaded here

Cross Connect for Windows Phone 8 WP8 can be downloaded here

3 screens, resized including chinese
Windows phone 7 and 8

Cross Connect is a bible and bible commentary reader based on the crosswire.org (the sword project) bible database that has over 160 bibles and documents in over 50 languages. This includes a connection to the cross-wire server to retrieve bibles from. This is a multi-window application where you can see several bibles at a time and compare bibles and notes as well as keeping a history of what you do and bookmarking interesting verses. You can add your own personal notes to each verse. Advanced searching is included as well. You can SMS or Email Bible verses to your friends and loved ones. Advanced features include Ancient Greek and Hebrew word translations as well as morphology. There are several Bible reading plans that span from 30 days to one year with many different methods for covering the Bible. All texts appearing in the program are translated into over 40 languages. If you get tired of reading the bible then you can listen to it instead by choosing one of the many audio versions of the bible.  Google translations are integrated into most windows so if you study in a language you don’t fully understand you can usually translate it to your language.

Cross Connect is open-source with the GNU General Public License.  The source code is available at https://github.com/thomasdilts/cross-connect/

Cross-Connect for Metro (Windows Store App) Windows 8
Cross-Connect for Metro (Windows Store App) Windows 8

I want to tell you about how I came to write this program. I have been using and helping others develop bible reading programs for about 3 years. Then I was offered a nice mobile phone if I would write a program for WP7(Window Phone 7).  Of course I immediately knew that I wanted to write a bible reader program for cross-wire bibles. But I was hesitant because I knew it was a huge job and a mobile phone would in no way be a decent compensation. So basically it was something I really wanted to do anyway.

I started working trying to convert huge Sword libraries to CSharp which would be the backbone of this program.  I worked about 3 weeks and was getting nowhere. Because I also have a full time job I was getting to a point of exhaustion and I realized I was no closer to getting the program done then when I started.  I prayed to God and asked him to help me to get this program done because at this point I was very near to being forced to give up.  I told God that this was something I really wanted to do but if he didn’t help me I would be forced to quit.

The next day I woke up and had a crazy idea in my head. The idea was that I would throw away all the work I did on converting the sword libraries and write everything myself.  Any programmer knows that this is insane because the sword libraries represent years of work and I was going to simply re-write it all myself from the beginning.  But I followed my instincts and within 5 hours I had managed write a program that could read and properly display cross-wire bibles.  In 5 hours I managed to do what takes most people many months or years to do. I feel that God blessed me because I would never have come up with such a crazy idea myself and in those 5 hours I was constantly making all the right choices about what to do. Just by looking at binary files I immediately knew what algorithms I needed to write to get the job done.

I am not trying to say that this program is a work of God. I am trying to say that God blessed me when I asked him to help me and that he hears our prayers and will help us in any venture that we want. Of course, He helps us only with our ventures that He in his divine wisdom decides is right for us. I just want to thank God with all my heart for showing me once again that he does hear us and he does answer our prayers.  Just that experience in itself is more important to me than any computer program.

“And I tell you, Ask, and it will be given you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For every one who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. What father among you, if his son asks for a fish, will instead of a fish give him a serpent; or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!” RSV – Luke 11:9-13

In order to reduce spam, all comments are first cleared by the administrator within 24 hours.

78 Comments - Leave a comment
  1. regardt says:

Thank you for the hard work. I had to upgrade and were used to e sword. I hope we will see kjv with strong numbers. And few commentaries. May God bless you! Rev Regardt Venter, South Africa

• admin says:

You’re very welcome!

I was thinking about your comment ”I hope we will see kjv with strong numbers…”
      It is now implemented.

2. Terry Bartholomew says:

Thanks for an excellent piece of software! The one thing that disappointed me when I got my WP7 was that I lost e-sword. Your program has now more than made up! God has indeed blessed you to bless others. Shalom.

3. Mike says:

This is a great tool to study God’s Word. Thank you for your work and may God continue to bless you in your effort and your everyday life.

4. Tekhelet says:

I do not have the WP7 yet. Currently on iPhone. Have many bible apps for iPhone and PocketSword pulls from the Sword Project modules. I most likely will switch to WP7 by year end, and having a capable bible app is important for me. I have searched online and saw several but yours, Cross Connect, is like heaven sent. It pulls from the excellent database of Sword Project, and thanks to your hard work and thanks to God, we can now use all these tools on WP7. I look forward to using it once I am on WP7! Thank you for doing this project.

5. Vincent says:

Thanks for a great offline bible reading solution on WP7!
    Would it be possible to have a Dutch Statenvertaling with stong numbers?

Grateful for His gifts of mercy

6. tekhelet says:

Using this bible app on WP7 is great. 🙂 One thing though, is it possible if you add the xiphos server for modules so we can also have John Gill’s exposition commentary?

• admin says:

Hello Tekhelet,
      Thanks for the tips about the xiphos server. In the very soon to come version of Cross-Connect there will be several other servers to choose from including xiphos thanks to you. The new release is available right now in all languages but English and German 🙁

• admin says:

I never could get the Xiphos server to work for me. So I will put the Xiphos bibles and commentaries onto my server. However that will take some time because Cross-Connect can only read certain formats so I may have to rebuild the Xiphos books. When I do get it done, just go to the Custom download option for servers in the download screen. Then you will see all the Xiphos bibles and commentaries. I will leave a comment here when I get it done.

7. Ashley says:

THANK YOU! Not since Palm Bible+ years ago have I had such a great Bible app on my phone. I was just telling someone today how much I missed that app, and then I found yours today. Thank you so much! I love the ability to read English/Greek and English/Hebrew in parallel. As a Bible languages reader this is wonderful. This is the best Bible program ever! It is so powerfull and feature rich. Thank you! > Ohio, USA

8. Ashley says:

I notice you do not have a donation link on your site. Is there any way we can make a contribution as a thank you for this wonderful Bible app?

• admin says:

I have now added a donation button to the Help page and on the sidebar. I have hesitated before to ask for money for my intention is to offer this as a free service. However, some of the services offered in this program (google translations) cost and so I think it is best to give those moved to make a donation, the chance to do so. Thanks!

9. petar says:

I can’t find app on market place. I’m from Croatia. Please tell me what’s happening?

And yes I like your app very much!

10. Ryan says:

Keep up the great work. You’re doing a good thing and I pray all your needs for this project will be met.

The App is not discoverable on WP8; looking forward to when it is because yours is the only program I have found that allows me to read Greek with a lexicon AND Strong’s concordance for a parallel English translation. It’s really great.

Ryan

11. Chidera Nwaubi says:

Thank you very much for this app I am so blessed to come across such a tool to further the study of God’s precious word. I have been looking for something like this for quite awhile God bless you for all your efforts and work on this.

12. Chidera Nwaubi says:

I also plan to save some money up to donate to make sure such a tool is still freely available for those who are seeking the Lord and want to understand his Word

13. Georges Mailler says:

J’ai téléchargé l’application Cross Connect Bible sur ma tablette, avec Windows store. Malheureusement il n’est pas possible de télécharger des bibles. Depuis plusieurs jours je reçois un message d’erreur: Error while dowloading file: Exception de HRESULT: 0x80072EE4. Merci d’avance pour votre aide.

• admin says:

Hello Georges. The only thing you can do is to remove “Bible Cross Connect” from your tablet and reinstall it. If that does not work then I don’t konw what you can do.

14. Lejola says:

THANK YOU and thank the Lord for this great app. When I moved from Symbian to Win8 Phone, I was really sad discovering that there was no Bible app with (local) Bibles in my language. Now I have, not only the Bible, but also all the great stuff from Sword.

Bless You!

15. nelson kung says:

thank you for your great app.

16. John says:

Hi there,

I have just switched to Windows Phone 8 and am looking for an ‘e-sword’ equivalent. Found your app – thanks a million! Cannot download it however, something about a 1GB memory requirement? I have the Nokia Lumia 720 (512 MB RAM, and 8 GB). Will it be possible to lower the requirements?

thanks

• admin says:

I need to do a release of the WP8 program in a few Days. I’ll try to reduce the memory demand. I don’t see why it needs so much memory either. I’ll let you know what happens

• John says:

Awesome, cannot wait!
        Thanks a million, and God Bless.

• admin says:

Hi John, Ok, now I have tried my best. The reason CrossConnect has been rated as 1GB only is because it uses a control called “WebBrowser” which is where I show all my bible texts in. This WebBrowser has the potential to show any webpage in the world and some webpages demand the 1GB limit. I have submitted the WP8 CrossConnect and asked them to please allow the 512MB phones to use it since I never show any external webpages. We will soon see if they have listened to my plea. I’ll let you know.

17. John says:

Thanks!

• admin says:

Sorry John, I tried. They published just an hour ago the new WP8 version of CrossConnect and unfortuneately it is still with a 1GB limit. They apparently simply ignored my appeals to allow it on 512MB telephones.

18. John says:

Awesome, looked today and was finally able to locate it on the store. Very excited!!!

19. jkubovic says:

Hello,
    thank you for your great app.
    How i download my bible from my server in WP8 version?
    I write link to my server in “Custom bible download addresses”, but this link is not in Download Bible Server List.

20. Ross says:

I love this app thank you very much. I have a large e-sword collection. Is there a way to get those modules onto crossconnect? I saw posts were people had done so but I can find out how? Thanks again and God Bless you!